Carbon monoxide is produced by faulty gas appliances when gas is not burned properly. It can be extremely dangerous because it has no smell and can’t be seen or tasted, but in a short period of time it can kill without warning.
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include tiredness, drowsiness, headaches and pains in the chest and stomach. You are most vulnerable when you are asleep.
For your safety we check and service all gas heating and hot water appliances each year, and provide you with a gas safety inspection certificate.
If you suspect you have carbon monoxide leaking into your home take the following steps:
- switch off the gas appliance and do not use it again until it has been inspected and repaired
- shut off the gas supply at the meter control
- call the freephone Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999
- open all doors and windows to ventilate the room – do not sleep in it
- visit your doctor urgently and explain that you believe your symptoms may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning and request a blood or breath test.