Key Worker Living is a government funded scheme that helps Key Workers in London, the South East and East of England to buy or rent a home at an affordable price.

Affinity Sutton provides key worker rented accommodation. We have a number of properties available in the South East of England.

What rent we charge

Our Keyworker rents are mostly agreed with our referral agencies. Some include other charges such as water charges and council tax. Information specific to the property should be included in the advert. If you would like more information on the rent at a specific scheme, please contact us


A Key Worker is someone employed by the public sector in a frontline role delivering an essential public service in the areas of health, education and community safety where there are serious recruitment and retention problems.

Eligibility criteria varies across regions depending on local recruitment and retention priorities, but a general list of Key Workers who may currently get help includes:

  • Clinical National Health Service staff
  • Teachers and nursery nurses in schools and further education/sixth form colleges
  • Police officers, Community Support Officers and some civilian police staff
  • Prison officers and some other staff
  • Probation Service staff
  • Social workers
  • Nursery nurses
  • Educational psychologists, and therapists (such as occupational therapists) employed by local authorities
  • Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service or the NHS
  • Local Authority Planners and Environment Health Practitioners
  • Firefighters and other uniformed staff below principal level in Fire and Rescue Services
  • Connexions Personal Advisors employed by a local authority or a Connexions Partnership
  • Ministry of Defence (certain personnel)
  • Highways Agency Traffic Officer staff in safety critical roles within the Traffic Officer Service.

To be eligible for an Affinity Sutton tenancy, you must:

  • Be over 18 years of age, or, in exceptional circumstances, over 16 and with an adult guarantor who will hold the tenancy in trust for you
  • Be a permanent resident of the UK*
  • Not be exempt from holding a tenancy by their immigration status. In general, this means that they should either hold a British passport, or have been granted legal leave to remain*

*In certain circumstances we will consider keyworkers who are on a visa. These will be assessed on an individual case basis.

You must not:

  • Have been convicted of a criminal offence, or have been guilty of antisocial behaviour. Unacceptable behaviour may also include serious damage or neglect of a property.1 
  • Have a conviction for using accommodation or allowing it to be used for immoral or illegal purposes.
  • Have current or former tenant arrears with Affinity Sutton or any other landlord 2
  • We or another landlord has commenced legal action for breach of tenancy or possession (a Notice of Seeking Possession has been served) or under other legislation relating to the use of your current or previous property
  • Own or have a legal interest in any residential property in the UK. In exceptional circumstances we will consider applicants who own a property. These will be assessed on an individual case basis3
  • Already hold a social or affordable tenancy elsewhere, unless you are going to give up that tenancy as part of being rehoused.
  1. We may make exceptions to this if we receive a recommendation from a current landlord or support agency (e.g. probation officer).

  2. We may make an exception if you are a current Affinity Sutton tenant who has received approval through our ‘Moving in Arrears’ policy.  Or if we have identified at a tenancy review that your home is no longer affordable, and have agreed to move you.

  3. Unless it is a home which is not suitable, or where there is insufficient equity in the property to afford a suitable home

We value good tenants, and where possible we’ll gather references from previous landlords.

To be eligible for one of our Keyworker properties you:

  • Need to be in employment
  • Should have a sufficient household income to pay the rent and leave you with a reasonable amount left for living costs (we will assess this using our ‘affordability’ criteria)
  • Need to have a good credit history and must not have any County Court Judgments against you. You will be asked to provide a credit report.

You'll also need to be able to pay one month's rent as a deposit and the rent amount due from the tenancy start date to the end of that month.


How to apply

For most of our schemes you will need to be referred to us via your trust contact. If you work for the NHS there should be an accommodation officer who can refer you.