We provide affordable housing for people on low-incomes who are in housing need. Unlike privately rented homes, social housing is allocated according to need. In some areas of the country we advertise and allocate our available homes through our choice based lettings scheme called Home Choice.
In other areas all of our available homes are subject to Local Authority agreements and will be advertised and allocated through the local council’s system. In those areas the local authority criteria will be used to assess your priority. Where we receive notice of a tenant leaving we aim to allocate the property before the exiting tenant moves out. If we are unable to find anyone during this period and out property is ready and available, we will advertise it through Zoopla
To give you and your family piece of mind and security, our minimum tenancy offer will be a 6-year fixed term tenancy that includes a probationary period of up to 18 months. After the 6 years, we will look to renew your tenancy for another 5 years subject to the terms of our tenancy policy. If you currently hold a lifetime social housing tenancy you may be eligible to keep your existing tenancy type. Your tenancy offer will be dependent upon your current tenancy status and the rental product offered.
The rent charged will be our 'target rent' which is a rent formula strictly defined by the government to ensure that rents are kept affordable
Some of our properties will be set at affordable rent levels to raise money to re-invest back into the development of new homes.
Affordable Rents will be set at 65% or 80% of the market rent* in that area. The level is dependant on when the property was converted to Affordable rent and takes into account criteria such as number of bedrooms or location of the property. These rents will always be capped at Local Housing Allowance (LHA).
*Market rent is the level of rent expected on the open market or the average private rent level
To find out more about affordable rents click here.
To be eligible for an Affinity Sutton Tenancy you must:
- Be over 18 years of ager, or, in exceptional circumstances, over 16 and with an adult guarantor who will hold the tenancy in trust for you
- Be a permanent resident in the UK
- Not be exempt from holding a tenancy by their immigration status. In general this means they should either hold a British passport or have been granted legal leave to remain
- Be nominated by a local authority under the terms of their Housing Allocation Policy
- Be assessed by us as in housing need (according to our scheme)
- Be a tenant who by moving makes a home available to someone who is in housing need
- Be a proper beneficiary of a charitable housing association by virtue of their age, disability, income or housing need
You must not:
- Have been convicted of a criminal offence, or have been guilty of antisocial behaviour. Unacceptable behaviour may also include serious damage or neglect of a property.1
- Have a conviction for using accommodation or allowing it to be used for immoral or illegal purposes.
- Have current or former tenant arrears with Affinity Sutton or any other landlord 2
- We or another landlord has commenced legal action for breach of tenancy or possession (a Notice of Seeking Possession has been served) or under other legislation relating to the use of your current or previous property
- Own or have a legal interest in any residential property in the UK3
- Already hold a social or affordable tenancy elsewhere, unless you are going to give up that tenancy as part of being rehoused
1 We may make exceptions to this if we receive a recommendation from a current landlord or support agency (e.g. probation officer).
2 We may make an exception if you are a current Affinity Sutton tenant who has received approval through our ‘Moving in Arrears’ policy. Or if we have identified at a tenancy review that your home is no longer affordable, and have agreed to move you.
3 Unless it is a home which is not suitable, or where there is insufficient equity in the property to afford a suitable home
We value good tenants and where possible we'll gather references from previous landlords.
Our Housing Options Wizard will guide you through what the possible housing options are for you and will provide a link to apply through Home Choice or where appropriate, provide you with the link to the relevant local authority system to apply for housing.