Over the past 2 years 2000 aids and adaptations have been installed within our properties. We are often asked by residents with disabilities how we make decisions regarding the Aids and Adaptations and thought it would be helpful to provide some information for you.

How to apply

If you have a disability and would benefit from aids and adaptations in your home, the first step is to ask your GP to arrange for an Occupational Therapist from your local authority to visit you and assess your needs. Should the Occupational Therapist agree that you need adaptations they will send us a report with their proposals. We will then consider their request for approval.

It’s very important that you have an Occupational Therapist’s assessment rather than contacting us directly. This is because we need the Occupational Therapist’s report before any adaptations can go ahead.

Aids and Adaptations are split into two categories:

  • Minor – these are aids or adaptations such as lever taps and Affinity Sutton will arrange and pay for these works to be carried out in your home provided the Occupational Therapist recommends it..
  • Major – this is where the cost of the adaptation is more than £1,000 In this case, the Occupational Therapist will help you apply for a “Disabled Facilities Grant” (DFG) to fund the adaptations. DFG funding is “means tested” therefore residents can occasionally be required to make a financial contribution themselves.

Before we can agree to a major adaptation, Affinity Sutton must look at whether the changes needed are reasonable and practical for the property. For example, if it wasn’t possible to install a through floor lift in your home we would help you explore different options including moving to a more appropriate property to suit your needs. Of course we will always work with the Occupational Therapist and the local authority to ensure the most practical outcome is reached.

Moving Home – things to bear in mind

We encounter problems because adaptations are “tailor made” to suit specific needs and “one size” doesn’t fit all, the existing adaptations may not suit your own needs. That said, we actively try to match previously adapted properties with residents needing adapted facilities.

For example – we worked with a local authority to let a previously adapted property to a new resident with disabilities. The property had full wheelchair accessibility, an adapted kitchen and wetroom which suited the new resident’s needs extremely well.

  • Partially adapted properties are the hardest for us to match. For example, if there is an adapted bathroom on the 1st floor but no stair lift for access; or a stairlift fitted but the only bathroom is upstairs and not adapted.
  • Sometimes our only option is to remove the adaptations as we are unable to let the property as it is. For example, a larger property that has been fitted with a disabled wet room shower may be well suited to a family with young children. However, in order for them to move in, the adaptations must be removed to make it safe for the children.
  • If you already have major adaptations in your home and you are thinking of moving, it would be extremely unlikely that the local authority would fund another set of adaptations for you in a new property. Under these circumstances you would need to contact the local authority (where you are moving to) for advice and guidance