With the Mayor of London’s new Housing Moves scheme, a move to a new area may be closer than you think…

  • Do you need to move closer to work or college?
  • Looking for a smaller home?
  • Want to be closer to family or friends, maybe to provide care or support?

If the answer to any of these question is ‘yes’, or if you have another reason for moving to a new area, then the new housingmoves scheme could be just what you need.

Housing Moves is the Mayor of London’s scheme that helps social tenants in London relocate to other parts of the capital. All council tenants and housing association tenants can apply, as long as they have a secure or assured tenancy. Priority is given to the following groups:

  • people who have more bedrooms than they need and wish to downsize
  • people in work or training
  • people who want to move to give care.

Housing Moves is a choice based lettings scheme. This means that once tenants have registered, they can see details of all available properties on the housingmoves website and can express an interest in the ones that would suit them.

The Housing Moves scheme is separate from the local housing transfer scheme. So, if you are interested you will need to apply direct to Housing MOves rather than through your landlord. Your application form will be checked by your landlord before you can express an interest in properties.

To find out more about the scheme, including how to apply, please go to the housingmoves website.

The Mayor of London also runs a scheme, called Seaside & Country Homes, to help tenants who are aged 60 and over to move to other parts of the country from London. You can find out how to access Seaside and Country Homes through the housingmoves website.